Vedanta

Vedanta

Wednesday 28 October 2015

How to Praying to One's Self

A friend recently asked if I ever prayed for anything. My response was yes, but not in the conventional way. I don't pray for intervention in the world, but for intervention in my mind, for that's where I most need help.

We usually think of prayer as an appeal to some higher power. We might pray for someone's healing, for success in some venture, for a better life, or for guidance on some challenging issue. Behind such prayers is the recognition that we don't have the power to change things ourselves-if we did, we would simply get on with the task-so we beseech a higher power to intervene on our behalf.

Trying to change the world occupies much of our time and attention. We want the possessions, opportunities, or experiences that we think will make us happy-or conversely, avoid those that will make us suffer. We believe that if only things were different we would finally be at peace.

This is the ego's way of thinking. It is founded on the belief that how we feel inside depends upon our circumstances. And if things aren't the way we think they should be, we start to feel discontent. This can take various forms-disappointment, frustration, annoyance, impatience, judgment, grievance-yet whatever its form, the root of our discontent lies not so much in the situation at hand, but more in how we interpret it.

For example, if I am stuck in a traffic jam, I can see it either as something that will make me suffer-being late for an appointment, missing some experience, or upsetting someone-and so begin to feel impatient, frustrated, or anxious. Or I can see it as an opportunity to relax, and take it easy for a few minutes. The same situation; two totally different reactions. And the difference is purely in how I am seeing things.

When I catch myself feeling upset in some way, I find it helpful to remember that my annoyance might be coming from the way I am interpreting the situation. If so, it makes more sense to ask, not for a change in the world, but for a change in my perception.

So that is what I pray for. I settle into a quiet state, then ask, with an attitude of innocent curiosity: "Could there, perhaps, be another way of seeing this?" I don't try to answer the question myself, for that would doubtless activate the ego-mind, which loves to try and work things out for me. So I simply pose the question. Let it go. And wait.

Often a new way of seeing then dawns on me. It does not come as a verbal answer, but as an actual shift in perception. I find myself seeing the situation in a new way.

One memorable shift happened a while ago when I was having some challenges with my partner. She was not behaving the way I thought she should. (How many of us have not felt that at times?) After a couple of days of strained relationship, I decided to pray in this way, just gently inquiring if there might possibly be another way of perceiving this.

Almost immediately, I found myself seeing her in a very different light. Here was another human being, with her own history and her own needs, struggling to navigate a difficult situation. Suddenly everything changed. I felt compassion for her rather than animosity, understanding rather than judgment. I realized that for the last two days I had been out of love; but now the love had returned.

The results of praying like this never cease to impress me. I find my fears and grievances dropping away. In their place is a sense of ease. Whoever or whatever was troubling me, I now see through more loving and compassionate eyes. Moreover, the new perspective often seems so obvious: Why hadn't I seen this before?

The beauty of this approach is that I am not praying to some external power. I am praying to my self for guidance-to the true self that sees things as they are without the overlay of various hopes and fears. It recognizes when I have become caught in the ego's way of thinking, and is ever-willing to help set me free.

Peter Russell has been writing on and teaching consciousness and meditation for over 40 years. For more information about his work or to take his popular online course, How to Meditate Without Even Trying on a Pay What You Wish basis, visit http://www.peterrussell.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Peter_J_Russell/2190389



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9203741

No comments:

Post a Comment